BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Monday, February 04, 2008

Super Bowl Sunday

I vowed not to watch the Super Bowl. I've had trouble jinxing the football teams I'm rooting for in this year's playoffs, and since it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that the Patriots were going to win, I decided I'd spare myself the agony. (I loathe the NE Patriots.) And the ads haven't even been all that good the past few years, so what would be the point in wasting all that time?

Temptation was too much for me. I flipped over to watch the game anyway. I can, without a doubt, say the worst ad during the game was for Sales Genie. If you're going to spend millions of dollars to advertise during the Super Bowl, for heaven's sake, spend some money on the production of the actual ad. And maybe look at hiring a better ad agency. IMO, that was hideous.

Picking the best commercial is a little more difficult. There were a lot of okay ads, which was pretty sad since the Super Bowl used to be like one big reel of Clio nominees (Clios are the Oscars for the advertising industry.) I did, however, find several ads that I thought were fabulous. I loved the homing pigeon ad for Fed Ex and the Wine and Cheese ad for Bud Light. You can check out these ads and the rest of them at MySpace.

And can I just say, OMG! The Giants upset the Patriots! My jinx lifted at the right time. It's not that I like New York, I don't, but it was a matter of the lesser of two evils. And even better, the Patriots lose their "perfect" season. Ha! (Um, sorry NE fans, but I've loathed the Patriots since I started paying attention to football.)