BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Friday, February 01, 2008

Here Be Dragons

Last night I became all excited when I saw that Animal Planet was doing a show about dragons. It was done in a pseudo-documentary style with Patrick Stewart narrating. Since the WIP (Work in Progress) involves dragons--in a way--I figured this was a prime research tool.

Unfortunately, I was wrong. Yes, the show was interesting, but they didn't talk about dragon magic at all, treating them more like dinosaurs that could breathe fire and fly. And they compared dragons to crocodiles as far as their eggs and which sex the babies end up being born as. Um, okay, but not helpful for my purposes.

Still, the show was well done and the animation was good, so I guess it wasn't a total waste of time.

Finding research material on dragon magic has not been easy and that was a surprise to me. I figured there'd be a ton of information available and there just isn't. Or if there is, I haven't found it. I'm looking for myth and lore of their magical powers, not what other fiction authors are doing, and the one time I asked on a loop, that was all the suggestions I received. Which totally shocked me--enough to blog about it at the time.

In the meantime, my search for dragon info continues.