BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Company Gifts

Next month I have one of those milestone anniversaries with my employer and for my years of service, I received a catalog from which to choose a gift. I don't get my commemorative pin and a gift, I had to choose one or the other. So I combed through the catalog and discounted most of the items as being things I wasn't interested in, but they had a pair of binoculars and I don't have any of those.

Yea, I thought, getting more excited, binoculars. Then I could bird watch (turkey, hawk, etc) from my house or deck and get a good view. I could also check out my garden when it's wet and rainy (like today) without getting my feet wet. Cool, I'm going to choose binoculars!

But before I made the selection, I thought, wow, I don't know much about binoculars. I should check out a few reviews and see if this pair/brand/magnification is decent. I went to Amazon first since they carry everything and so many products have reviews. Do you know what I found? The company gift was for sale for $13! Gee, thanks, NWA, but no thanks. I'll buy my own binoculars and I'll pick something that's halfway decent.

I guess I should be grateful I get anything, right? But I figure by the time they buy in bulk and get their discount, we're probably talking, what? $5? Maybe $7? I went with the commemorative pin instead. After all, there might not be an NWA after the merger mania dust settles.

I spent the evening at the hospital again. My dad looks better, but progress is slow. I want him to be better now. I'm still exhausted and I think my mom is, too.