BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Monday, April 28, 2008

Down the Garden Path

I'd love to be scintillating and witty today since I'm blogging, but I'm afraid that isn't going to happen. Last week, while I was burning the candle at both ends, I managed to run myself--and my immune system--down to the point that I got sick. So instead of witty, I'll settle for coherent--but even that might be a stretch.

The week before last, I received an email from the nursery that I'd ordered flowers from to let me know that my bulbs had shipped. I panicked. Not only did I not have time to plant them, especially with my dad going in the hospital in a few days, but it was too cold here. Then I read farther down and it said it had shipped from Holland and that I should see them in 21-25 days. Whew, I thought, three weeks is much better, and in May, things should warm up here.

On Tuesday (five days laster), the day my dad had surgery, the doorbell rings. It's UPS and there are my bulbs. Gah!

I threw the boxes in the refrigerator and there they sit, unopened. And I was right about it being too cold to plant. When I woke up Saturday morning, there was a good inch of snow on my deck and it was still falling! Sunday was a little better until late in the afternoon when it snowed again. It's the end of April! I'm still wearing my winter jacket and my hat and we won't see high temperatures in the 60s again until late in the week. Global warming? What global warming?

It's a darn good thing that I didn't take the styrofoam covers off my peony tree and burning bushes and it's a good thing that I left the mulch over my bulbs.

And speaking of the bulbs I planted last fall, green has been spotted in the garden! I haven't had time to walk down there and look at it yet, but I'm hoping by the end of this week it'll be warm enough and dry enough and I'll be rid of this cold to hike down and admire my future flowers.