BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Fame

Sometimes lyrics to music gets me thinking. The latest instance of this happened as I was listening to The Pussycat Dolls song, When I Grow Up. One of the lines of the song is: We all wanna be famous. That made me ask, does everyone want to be famous?

My first round of thinking was personal. Do I want to be famous? It's kind of a complicated question or at least a layered one. No, I don't want to be famous, but I'd like my stories/books to be hugely popular and read by millions. Does that constitute personal fame? I'm thinking not because I want to remain out of the limelight. I'm much more comfortable that way.

This leads me to the second round of thinking--Do most people want to be famous? I mean, lets face it. I'm not normal. I hear voices in my head who tell me what their names are and won't cooperate if I don't do things their way. Most people don't deal with this. :-)

I thought about reality TV where people humiliate and embarrass themselves on national television for notoriety. About five minutes' worth. Seems to me that fame or the chance to have fame is something others want. Which brings me around to wondering what the appeal is? Why do some people seem willing to do anything to get noticed?

I've been puzzling over this for days. I know. I think too much, but a lot of writers like to figure out what makes others tick. Occupational hazard, I guess. I'm having a hard time, though, with this. Maybe because it's so opposite of how I think.

So...do we all want to be famous? Am I the one out of step again?