BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, January 28, 2016

A 9th Planet?

I don't know if you've been following science news or not, but in the last week or so, astronomers at Caltech have said there's evidence suggesting there's a large ice giant orbiting our sun as the 10th 9th planet. (Sorry, I still think of Pluto as a planet. The ironic thing is that one of these astronomers is the guy who killed Pluto.)

How cool is this? Now granted, it hasn't been spotted yet, and until it's in the cross hairs of someone's telescope, it's theoretical only, but still...

A 10,000 year orbit? That boggles the mind!

And it makes me think of Zechariah Sitchin's work, The 12th Planet. I'm not a big Sitchin fan--I think he got too much wrong to take him seriously--but he did talk about this planet that has this huge orbit around the sun and about the anunnaki who live there. Hearing that there's possibly this planet out there that at least generally fits the information Sitchin gave in his book has me going OMG, what if he was right despite the mis-translations of Sumerian?

Sorry, the part of me that loves to write (and read) SF romance is all excited about the possibilities here. Um, anyway, I'm seriously looking forward to astronomers studying the sky, trying to get their telescopes on this planet and prove it really does exist. How cool would that be? We might have lost Pluto, but we might gain a new, larger planet in his place.