BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Sacrilege!

Edited to add: There has been a correction made to this news. They are not rebooting Labyrinth. Hurrah!  I'm not sure how I feel about a sequel, though, without David Bowie.

Believe it or not, Hollywood is planning to reboot Labyrinth! Reboot Labyrinth???? Are you kidding me? There are some movies that should never, ever be remade and this is one of them.

Is it a perfect movie? Unfortunately, no. There's a cheesiness to it in parts that I like to pretend don't exist, but it also has a charm that can't be replicated. I think David Bowie had a lot to do with that and that no other actor will be able to replace him, no matter who is cast in the role. I love Johnny Depp to pieces, but he couldn't replace Gene Wilder in the Charlie/Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory movies. The original 1971 movie was charming, the reboot was just creepy.

But back to Labyrinth. I'm not the only one unhappy about this reboot. I spotted this article because of a post on Facebook. There were thousands of less-than-excited commenters. The only way this reboot could possibly work was if they'd done it 25 years ago with Bowie and Jennifer Connelly reprising their roles. Without that, forget it.

Which brings me to Hollywood and their ridiculous propensity for rebooting everything. I know there are plenty of screenwriters with brilliant and original ideas. Why the hell can't Hollywood make one of them instead of taking the "safe" route of Rocky 23 and rebooting every movie ever made. I mean, seriously, they remade Red Dawn FFS and that movie wasn't that good.

Personally, I am so sick of superhero movies, I could just puke. I'm also tired of seeing all those remakes of other movies. Some of them don't matter--remake Red Dawn if you must even if it is a total head-scratcher--but other movies are sacrosanct. Like Labyrinth and The Princess Bride. They're not rebooting Princess Bride yet (at least as far as I know), but can that be far behind?