BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Scanning: So Needed, So Tedious

About a month ago, I wrote about buying a scanner to reduce the paper in my house. I would love to ditch some of my filing cabinets and free up the space, but OMG, is this a long, drawn-out process.

It's not only the scanning itself, although that certainly isn't the most fun ever. It's the getting everything ready to scan. For example, I'm scanning things I wrote on spiral-bound notebook paper. That means the frizzy side of the paper needs to be cut off so it doesn't mess up the internal part of the scanner.

I also have to organize files where I want to store the scans, and the most fun of all ::heavy sarcasm::, getting the document ready to save.

Theoretically, it should be scan and done, but it's not quite that simple. It's a duplex scanner. It's not supposed to scan blank second pages (and it mostly doesn't), but I've clipped a lot of stuff from newspapers and magazines that I want to hold onto. Like cartoons and quotes and stuff. Well, it scans the back of these things because they aren't blank, but I don't want those, which means going into each PDF and deleting them.

On Saturday, I spent nearly three hours working on this and only got a fraction of the files done. I expected to make multiple trips to the filing cabinet. I didn't. And I didn't get everything done in that first batch of files I grabbed either.  Sigh. The project isn't one I can drop--I seriously need to lose this paper--but it's going to be a long haul.