BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

The Novella That Grew

I've mentioned from time to time--both here and on other social media--that I was writing a novella. Well, guess what happened? The novella is growing to novel length.

I had about 3/4 of my first draft written and was confident it would be a long novella. Okay, a super long novella, but even though technically 45,000 words is considered a novel, I just couldn't count it as this. But as I reworked my draft, it grew and grew, and grew. As I write this, I'm at 20,000 words and I've barely reached the beginning of my first draft.

As I think about what I have left to write, I'm guessing I come in over 60,000 words. Maybe higher. This is truly a novel.

On the plus side, I am having so much fun writing this story and my characters are torturing themselves, so I don't even have to do that. :-) I would and I'd enjoy that, too, but it's easier when they do the hard work for me. Heh!

Wicked Obsession is coming, and it's a the prequel to a new series I plan to work on.