BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Friday, June 03, 2005

Kiss Me While I Sleep

I finished Linda Howard's "Kiss Me While I Sleep" yesterday. That's the book I mentioned yesterday. I liked it a lot, in fact, it just sucked me in. I was wondering if it would after all the comments I'd heard about various aspects, but I stayed up till 11pm on Wednesday because I didn't want to put it down, so I think that says a lot.

For the two people who don't know what it's about, the heroine is a CIA contract assassin whose 2 friends and their young daughter are executed by a crime lord. Lily decides she's going to make the crime lord pay. The CIA isn't happy to have one of their assets killed and send the hero after Lily. He saves her butt in the park and they end up working together to bring down a horrific plot before Swain finishes his assignment.

Some of the comments I heard from readers has been that the heroine was unsympathetic since she was an assassin. I didn't have any trouble with that, in fact, I think she could have been a bit edgier. In a few ways, I didn't find Lily tough enough for the job, but overall, I thought the character was well-drawn and likeable.

Another comment I heard was that the hero wasn't alpha enough. I thought Swain was just fine. :-) No, he wasn't as outwardly alpha as some of Ms Howard's other heroes (Like the yummy Marc Chastain), but when it counted, he was plenty tough.

I did figure out who was the person behind the mess pretty easily, but then I don't read for the mystery, I read for the characters. :-) I was left wondering at the end, though, if the character behind it all would change his mind or not.

Anyway, this book was definitely worth picking up and reading. I enjoyed it immensely, although it wasn't my favorite Linda Howard book ever. But Ms Howard is such a huge talent that anything she writes is completely engrossing.

I stayed up way too late last night, but I did another update to my website (I added Crimson Veil to my Books page) and I had to try about half a dozen layouts before I found one I liked. Then, at 9:30 (which was stupid beyond belief), I started rereading the WIP (Work In Progress). Unfortunately for me, I'd just finished a scene when I received my revisions for TACV and I have no clue what I was planning to do next. :-( Now I'm going to have to mull for a while because I'm going to need to get back to work on the WIP soon.

MN Weather Report: 69 degrees.