BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Monday, July 25, 2005

Off To Reno--Without the Laptop

Yes, believe it or not, I'm leaving for the RWA Conference without life support (AKA the laptop). I don't know how I'm going to function without internet or email for a week, but maybe I can find some place with cheap access. Needless to say, there will be no blog posts until I get back home. Well, unless I find the cheap internet access--if I do, I'll post.

Yesterday, I again did my pack at the last minute thing. Why don't I learn? I started laundry early enough that I had hope that this would be the trip that I overcame my packing procrastination. But alas, that was not to be. I started getting clothes together around 6pm. Began printing out stuff I needed to bring with me to Reno around 7pm. Finished up around 8:30. Began packing around, oh, 10:15. Which put me into bed sometime after 11pm--and here I am, up at 4am. Okay, up at 4:30am. I laid in bed, hitting the snooze for a while.

On the plus side, the suitcase is less full than it was last year. On the minus side, I'm sure that means I forgot something. I mean, just being short a shoe or two shouldn't make that much of a difference. I'm certain that I'm forgetting something.

Keep your fingers crossed, though, that the suitcase makes it to Reno--preferably without being searched by the TSA. I don't want them messing up my clothes, but I travel with my toiletries in something called an Everything Bag and I don't think their X-Ray equipment can see through the way everything is rolled in on each other. Add an immersion heater this year because the hotel doesn't have coffee makers, a display easel with my great Crimson Veil cover (keep the fingers on both hands crossed that this survives the trip unscathed), and copies of Power of Two that I'm carting along for some reason I can't recall, and it all increases my odds of being searched.

Anyway, I am so NOT looking forward to 3 1/2 hours in coach. Gah! Do you know that I haven't flown in the back of the plane since 1993??? Yes, I know I'm spoiled, but I pay for the privilege in other ways. Trust me.

MN Weather Report: 74 degrees. Off to Reno where it's been in the 100's. GAH!