BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

April Snow Brings May Flowers?

Snow in April. That's just wrong.

Eight days ago, it was 81 degrees. Today, we're supposed to get 1-3 inches of snow and we're under a snow advisory from now until midnight. Doesn't mother nature know I have planters in my foyer just waiting for plants?

I've been struggling with this action scene I'm writing. These scenes are tough for me anyway, but this one seems particularly difficult. Part of it is that this creature (from another dimension) can't be killed by a direct magical attack and I'm not really good at dreaming up subversive magical fighting techniques. :-( The other problem is that there's a lot of stuff going on in this scene. My hero has all these emotions bubbling and he's used to being pretty emotionally cut off, so I have to deal with all that too.

I go through this all the time with these types of scenes. What I need to do is just write and then go in and layer through what I left out the first time around. Why is this so hard for me to do? Does it go back to wanting it all perfect the first time? Which is a major problem for me when it comes to writing. Anyway, the fight--both my hero's and mine--continues today.

Twins won. I love baseball.