BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Books and Links

I heard some people already have their books to judge for the RITA Awards. I'm not one of them, but then I always seem to get my books later than most others. It's frustrating, though, because the more time I have to read, the easier it'll be to get them all in before the deadline. Sometimes judges really get slammed with a huge amount of entries. IIRC, I had eight last year. That's a lot of reading in a short time.

I was talking to a guy at work Friday about Linux and Ubuntu because I heard about this really small, light laptop that's incredibly cheap. The EEE from ASUS (you can read more about it here if you're interested), but it runs Linux and I've never used that before. So this guy at work is geekier with computers than I am and not only is he running it, he says his laptop boots up incredibly fast. Unlike with Windows where I can basically make coffee and still sit and wait. That speed makes it incredibly tempting. And this wouldn't be a substitute for the current laptop, but a traveling version. But since I still haven't made a decision on a new desktop computer after 2 years of consideration, I don't guess I'll be moving too fast on this.

Today is my local chapter meeting and I'm hoping to attend, but before I go, I found a fun web page. If you've owned a dog, you might find this amusing.