BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Review: The Lake House

I caught part of a movie on HBO this weekend--The Lake House, starring Keanu Reeves as Alex and Sandra Bullock as Kate. It's from 2006 and I'd label it as a paranormal romance. There might be spoilers ahead, so if you don't want to know, stop reading here.

This won't be the best plot sum up ever, but the gist of the movie is that the hero and heroine are communicating with letters across time. The hero lives in 2004 and the heroine in 2006. They fall in love, and when Kate sends Alex to get a book she left behind at the train station (one with sentimental value), they start changing what did and didn't happen to them.

Definitely not a great summary, but this is a difficult movie to describe succinctly.

First off, I missed the beginning of this movie both times I noticed it was on this weekend. I checked the HBO website and noticed that it goes onto On Demand on the 19th, so I plan to catch the whole thing during that stretch of time.

Anyway, as you might have guessed from my desire to see the entire movie, I liked this story. Keanu is cute as always and the premise is intriguing. I found the aspect of their communication affecting their lives and changing the way they'd originally played out to be fascinating. Both of them have things change because of the other, not just Kate's lost book being found, but things in Alex's life as well.

This was one of those things--a kind of time travel having an impact on the past--that makes my head hurt when I think about it too much, and yes, this falls into that category. It's definitely intriguing, though. SPOILER AHEAD! Alex dies because of his pursuit of Kate, which changes his life, but then she finds out about it and gets a message back to him that changes it again. And the movie is filled with things like this and this made it a film that's lingered in my mind ever since I saw it.

Overall, I recommend this movie. It was a very pleasant and enjoyable way to veg out after my mind had shut down for the day.

My rating: 7/10