BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Monday, June 09, 2008

Mother Nature's Wrath

I posted my beautiful peony pictures at the end of last week and that might be the only flower that tree ever produces. Thursday, late in the afternoon and into early evening, a storm rolled through. It brought torrential rain and strong winds. All my flowers took a beating. The foliage from the allium plants were beaten to the ground, some of my little bluish-purple flowers were on the ground, and even the lilac bushes next door looked beaten by the time I got home from work Friday afternoon.

I went out and checked the tree peony on Saturday. I didn't think it was a positive sign that the flower which had been facing southwest was now facing northeast. I was right. It's broken. If it had broken higher up on the stem/trunk, I would be more optimistic, but it snapped less than 3/4" from the ground. I think that's too low for it to recover. I just feel sick about it.

So far, I've left it alone and I guess I won't touch it at all, hoping that somehow it can recover by itself. I'm not all that hopeful, but miracles happen. At least I had one flower and I got out there to take pictures of it.

BTW, for anyone who's interested Giveaway of the Day has book inventory software available today. I have not downloaded this software myself and I've never used this program, so I'm not endorsing it, but if you're looking for a way to keep track of your books, this is free for Monday. It's worth checking out at least.