BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Why Writers Lose Their Minds

Last night, I was minding my own business and watching the Cubs-Astros game. I had the lights off and the computer booted down for the night because I was on my way to bed and I was only going to watch the bottom of the eighth inning before I turned the television off, too, and went to sleep. The Astros' pitcher was ejected from the game and they brought in a new one from the bullpen. His name was Valverde. "Valverde," I said. "Let's hit this guy." And that's when it happened.

If you guessed a new character showed up, you'd be right. His name? Valverde.

I have no clue who he is. I have no clue what his story is. I have no clue if he just showed up briefly or if I'll be writing him at some point in the future. He told me that he wasn't part of any of the stories/worlds that I have on my To Do Project List, but characters have lied about this in the past.

All I know about him is that he's fairly easygoing. Or at least that's what his energy felt like. That could very well be surface stuff that he puts out to the world to hide his intensity, but I won't know until I spend more time with him and get to know him. Of course, he's not around today. I wanted to kind of check in again and get a sense of him again, but he's gone. Will he come back? I don't know. If he does, I hope he waits until I'm done with the stories that I want to work....

Ooooh. I think I just figured out which world he belongs to. Interesting. Very interesting. I'm going to end this blog here so I can mull this over a little bit.