BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Sunday, October 25, 2009

1776

Last night, I watched 1776 a musical with William Daniels, Howard Da Silva, and Ken Howard. It's actually one of my favorites, but that wasn't what I planned on watching on an October weekend. Unfortunately, what I did plan to see left me bored, and after studying my DVD collection, this was the title that I felt like watching.

A strange thing occurred to me as I watched it. I suddenly remembered all the times I'd been asked: If you could meet anyone living or dead, who would it be? It's a question that I've never had an answer for because I'm not into celebrity and I couldn't think of anything else. Last night it dawned on me that I wish I could have gone back and talked to the founding fathers--John Adams, Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, John Hancock, and the others.

Wouldn't it be cool to travel back in time and sit in a corner to watch the Continental Congress debate independency? To find out first hand what they envisioned, what they were thinking?

I understand that the real men are unlikely to resemble the way they were portrayed in the musical, but I still think it would hugely interesting. Jefferson was in his early 30s. Adams his early 40s. And they were part of one hell of a creation.

And when I went to bed after it was over, I dreamed about aliens invading Earth and blowing things up ala Independence Day, another favorite movie. :-) I don't know how my subconscious transposed a sweet musical with an ET invasion, but hey, at least it wasn't dull.