BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Revelations Come In All Sizes

Sometime between when I went to bed last night and when I woke up this morning, my subconscious had a revelation about my next Work In Progress (WIP). At first, as I was thinking about this, I wasn't sure I should call it a revelation. It's a pretty small thing. Then I decided that while it's small in scope for everyone else, it had a major impact in how I'm thinking about this series.

My major revelation? My heroes interact with humans even when they don't have a specific job.

See? I told you. It's certainly not an epic revelation, but for me, that's exactly what it was--epic. It changed my whole perception of my guys and of their stories and of who they are. I swear the earth actually shook. ;-) Maybe not literally, but definitely figuratively.

Now I need to let the knowledge sink in and settle. I need time for it to flow out and fill the corners of the story. I need to rethink everything I know in terms of this new information. I also need time to learn the nitty gritty details of what their interaction with humans consists of. How do they interact, why, for what purpose? But this is a problem for later. Maybe tomorrow, maybe next week, it just depends on how long it takes me to process.

And for the next couple of days, anyone who asks me about my writing will get an excited retelling of my revelation. It will likely earn me an "are you kidding" look and a "that's nice" response.

TBH, I'm not sure other writers would even get how exciting this is. Sometimes small revelations like this are just that--small revelations that are interesting, but don't mean that much. And then there are times when small revelations rock the author's view of their story, their world, their characters. That's what this one was for me.