BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Social Networks

I'm on far too many social networks, but being signed up for them and actually using them are two different things. I have a very different level of participation.

Twitter - This is my favorite and where you're most likely to find me. I love chatting with people here and wish more of my followers would start conversations. Sometimes it takes me a while to answer, especially if I'm writing or at the day job, but I do reply most of the time. (There are occasions when I can't think of anything to say in return.) I especially enjoy saying good morning.

Facebook - I'm on here and check in a few times a day, but I mostly forget to comment back to stuff on my wall. I mean to, but it's just too easy to space it out. I also mostly forget to update my status (that's what Twitter is for!) despite having multiple ways to post to FB at the same time I post to Twitter.

MySpace - Has gone from very active to next to zero. I would delete my account if I still wasn't getting so many views on my blog over here. I wish MySpace, though, would let me feed in my blog the way that Amazon and Goodreads do because cutting and pasting gets old. Barring that, I wish they would let me preschedule posts the way WordPress and Blogger do. I don't use the feature that often, but there are definitely times it comes in handy.

Goodreads - I had good intentions here, but basically my blog just auto feeds in to the site. I think I would be more active if I could have uploaded the books I own to the site. (My fiction collection alone is 5000+.) But Goodreads wouldn't upload from my spreadsheet because I didn't record the ISBN numbers of the books and I don't have near enough time to even consider entering the titles individually.

Shelfari - I was active here very briefly. Now, I can't tell you the last time I visited. I should see if I can auto feed a blog in here, too. :-)

Library Thing - I joined this back before it was social. Big drawback here is the number of books you can list before you have to go to a paid account. I mostly forget to visit.

Bebo - I haven't visited here regularly since In the Midnight Hour was releasing back in what? 2007? I'm still shocked when I get friend requests or notices that someone has made me their top friend because of how long it's been since I was over there. This site is one from which I do need to delete myself. If I can ever remember to get over there.

Some Pages thing - I can't remember if it's Yahoo or Microsoft or if it's someone else all together, but you can tell how long it's been since I did anything with that site since I can't even remember who runs it or what the exact name of it is. If I didn't bookmark this site, there won't be anyway to even get over here to delete myself.