BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Can't Look Back

One of the things my dad can't understand is why I have zero interest in going to my high school reunion. He went to many of his and enjoyed them tremendously. I'm completely meh on the whole thing.

My lack of interest goes beyond the fact that social situations just aren't a lot of fun for me. I'm very introverted and being surrounded by strangers--which is what these people are now--is enough to give me anxiety attacks. It's rooted firmly in the fact that I don't care.

I think much of my indifference is rooted in the fact that I don't believe in living in the past. Chapter is closed; let's move on. Maybe if I'd been one of the cool kids in school, I'd feel differently, but I'm a geek and a dreamer--and I always have been--so I most definitely didn't fit in with the cheerleaders and the jocks.

My graduating class has a group going on Facebook, and because I did have some mild curiosity, I checked it out.

Graduating class: 400
Members of the FB Group: 175
Names I recognized: 3 or 4

Seeing how few people I remembered pretty much reinforced my apathy about reunions. And in all fairness, I doubt many of those people remember me, either. More reason to go meh.