BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, March 14, 2013

At Random

Kind of in keeping with the education/learning theme from Tuesday, that audio book I'm listening to that mentioned brain acuity had a great suggestion. Set up a random Wikipedia page as your browser home page. This way every time you open the browser, you have a chance to read something new.

The link to do that is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Randompage

I'm going to try this out. It's actually an intriguing idea since I'll never know what's going to turn up and it's an opportunity to expand my horizons in directions I wouldn't think interesting. When I stretch, I usually do end up learning something interesting.

Like the time I was flipping through the stations on television and ran into the show about container shipping. I never expected to actually watch the full hour. What could be more boring than watching a program about shipping goods around the world?

It was riveting. I learned things I'd never considered. I'm hoping for the same thing with the random Wikipedia page. And who knows? Maybe it will percolate itself into an idea some day.