BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Tyranny of Machines

My microwave nags me. I hate that. It beeps three times when it's done, and if I don't open the door in a matter of seconds, it will beep another time. Like I can beam myself across the kitchen instantaneously. And heaven forbid I'm doing something and let whatever is in the microwave sit. The thing will begin beeping at regular intervals until I open the door.

The microwave I had in Minnesota did the same thing. I hated it then, too. Beep once and stay quiet. That's all I want. I won't forget there's something in there, and if I do, I can always warm it up again.

Right now, my coffee maker is flashing an evil red eye at me, kind of like a Cylon fighter. It wants to be cleaned, but it takes time and so I wait for the weekend. It nags me with every cup of coffee I pour, with every filter I fill with grounds. It's annoying, but unfortunately necessary in this case. I might not forget I heated something up in the microwave, but I know I won't remember to clean the coffee maker without the Cylon death stare.

When the filter in my refrigerator needs to be replaced, I get the red glare. It just stays on, judging me every time I pass by.

Don't even get me started about the smoke detectors and their batteries. Those things are the epitome of machine tyranny. They deliberately wait until 2am to start their shrill nagging. All evening long, quiet, not a peep out of them, but once I'm sound asleep...chirp. chirp. chirp.

This time I outsmarted them. I remembered to have the handyman change the batteries before they got low. Hah!