BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, May 19, 2016

What's In a Name?



While I was driving from Atlanta to Minneapolis to help my dad with his house, I passed a couple of wineries. One was called Pheasant Hill and I thought, well, that’s nice. But I’m not a wine drinker and so I didn’t really care that much, and while I kind of filed it away in the memory banks, it was more because I was surprised how many wineries there were along my route.

Things changed when I spotted the Purple Toad Winery. I got all excited then because it was such a cool name. I turned to my dad and said we have to get some of that wine. Like I said, I don’t drink wine. It gives me headaches, even the whites.

This experience made me think of book titles.

A clever book title can go a long way to selling a book. There are some super cool titles out there that make me think, Damn, I wish I’d thought of that!

Sadly, I’m terrible at titles. As much as I love Purple Toad Winery, I would never have thought of it while brainstorming. I’m much more likely to come up with Pheasant Hill as a name, particularly if it’s literally on top of a hill with pheasants around.

Maybe someday my brain will improve.