BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, December 08, 2016

Virtual Race

***I'm going to talk about something by name so let me insert this disclaimer here: I have received no compensation of any kind whatsoever from anyone to discuss this topic/race/company. All opinions are my own.***

I'm not a runner--I'm a walker--but there's this race that looks really cool and I want to do their 5k. The reason why I'm attracted to this race and not to others? This is more for fun than super competitive. Since I'd be walking the 5k, this is important to me. The other big reason is they give pink stuff to their competitors. I know it's a silly reason, but I love pink.

The race is called Run Like a Diva. There are pink T-shirts, pink tutus (I'll admit I don't care about the tutu), tiaras, pink boas, and cool medals for finishers.

I have entering one of their real races in 2017 as one of my goals. They have a time limit on completing each mile of the race because of road closures and I need to build my speed up another half a mile per hour or so before I can do it in real life.

But they released a virtual race and I signed up for that! It doesn't give all the super cool stuff that a real race gives to entrants. No T-shirt, no tiara, no boa. But I can do it in my neighborhood or on a treadmill and my speed won't be an issue. (I do about 3.5 miles per hour and I'd need to be around 4 mph for this race.) I already walk more than 5k on many, many days, so distance has never been a problem for me.

I am ridiculously excited about doing this. It's kind of a mini-goal, a step on the way to my goal of participating in a real, live, in-person race.

***I have received no compensation of any kind whatsoever from anyone to discuss this topic/race/company. All opinions are my own.***