BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Happy Days

My dad was up in Minnesota in December because he was having an estate sale. He's been living with me for a little over a year now and we're working toward selling his house and moving him in with me for good. But while he was home, he found more old family pictures.

This is kind of amazing because when he and I had gone up last April, we'd brought boxes and boxes of pictures back to Atlanta. We literally shipped 21 boxes from Minnesota to Georgia and almost all of them had at least some photos in them. Many of those boxes were at least half full and my front room is still loaded with boxes my dad needs to sort through yet.

But yes, he found more photos. He said my mom had put them away and he handed me the envelope to look through.

They were all pictures of me as a kid. How awesome is that?

One of my favorites shows my mom sitting in the kitchen and I'm standing next to her on the chair. I couldn't have been more than 18 months, I think. I was really still a baby. Mom was smiling up at me and I was smiling too. There's a second shot of that same scene, but this picture includes my grandfather and he looks as if he's laughing uproariously.

My other favorite is me wearing what appears to be my dad's hat and my mom's jacket. :-) The picture (sadly) got scratched up because it's been floating around loose for years.

This got my dad going on other photos and he kept handing them over to me to look at. One thing struck me: I'm smiling in almost all of them, even when I appear unaware that there's a camera there. Baby me, toddler me, little girl me--always smiling. I thought it was pretty cool to have a childhood that happy.