BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

Review: Stardust

***I received no compensation for this post. This movie was free as part of my Amazon Prime subscription.***

***WARNING: THERE WILL BE SPOILERS! If you haven't seen the movie yet and don't want to know what happens, stop reading now.***

Stardust came out in 2007 which is why I'm unabashedly dropping spoilers in this review. Although, in all honesty, I hadn't even heard of this movie until it showed up on Amazon Prime for free streaming. I'm sort of surprised by this since it's the kind of film that I'd normally gravitate to.

Stardust stars Claire Danes and Charlie Cox and features a cast filled with names even I recognized. :-) I'm not very celebrity oriented. Tristan (Cox) is in love with a fair maiden who isn't exactly the most sincere of ladies. She seems to be always out for the best deal for herself and she believe another man will have a better future. On the verge of becoming engaged to this other man, she offers Tristan a chance. If he brings her the fallen star they'd seen come down.

This sets Tristan off into the magical kingdom. (There's some important backstory here that the movie covers at the beginning.) It's while he's in this land that he learns the fallen star isn't a hunk of rock, but a beautiful woman (Danes). Still blinded by the girl in the village, he is determined to bring the fallen star back to his world.

The problem? Others want the star, too, including a group of witches who plan to cut out her heart.

The film started out kind of meh for me. It was okay enough to keep watching, but nothing awesome, but by the time I reached the end, I loved the movie. Tristan and the star were great together and the hero wasn't too stupid for too long. There was a misunderstanding, but that didn't last very long either, although the consequences did cascade through the end of the film.

There were witches and kings, princes and pirates. While the first half was a bit so-so, the second half more than made up for it. It's a fantastic way to spend a couple of hours.

Two thumbs up. Highly recommended.