BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, April 12, 2018

The Great Spam Debacle

I have more email accounts than one person should own, but I don't think I'm alone in that. What I do to keep things manageable is have Gmail retrieve my email from the various accounts. And then one day I stopped getting one of my accounts. It took me a couple of days to realize it and I went to investigate. After trying a variety of things, I ultimately was unable to fix it and so I disconnected the account and added it again.

And then the annoyances started.

First, Google decided to import all the email again. Everything. Years worth of email.

OMG! And it put 1500 of these email in spam although NONE of them actually were spam. I'd already vetted these notes on the other account. And once Gmail understood they weren't spam, it put all of them in my inbox. My inbox went from 40 to 1500+. This didn't make me happy.

I still have to finish sorting out all that email, but that's not the end of it.

Because Google put 1500 messages in spam, it's now sending me warnings about a spam attack. Every time I log in here to write a post, Google wants me to do a security check and "take action." No, I don't need to take action. There was no spam attack. It was you, Google! You! You put perfectly good email in the spam folder. Thousands of perfectly legitimate email. Sigh.