BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, May 03, 2018

Commuting Time

I blogged a while ago about getting music setup to listen to on my daily commute. (I still miss my van pool!) Well, that was okay, but I was getting tired of the music. I know! After all the trouble I went to in order to get a wide variety of music, it sure didn't take long to get tired of it.

I started out with podcasts, but it didn't take long to run out of episodes and then it dawned on me. I have audio books on my phone, too.

This is actually working out really well--so far at least. I have a ton of audio books I want to listen to, but I've been so busy listening to podcasts that I just never get around to it. My first book was about the plague in medieval Europe which is an endlessly fascinating topic for me. Most of the titles in my library are nonfiction.

There are a couple of drawbacks. I can't connect my iPhone into the stereo system the way I could with my iPod. I did a search online and it can't be done per multiple websites and bulletin boards. This wouldn't be all bad if I could hook in via Bluetooth, but while I can make phone calls that way, I haven't figured out how to do that with audio books/music/podcasts etc. Issue one then, would be sound quality because I literally have my phone in my cup holder to get enough volume to hear it and even then (if traffic is loud), I sometimes have trouble.

Issue 2 is (of course!) getting so involved with what I'm listening to that I end up sitting in my garage to hear more. I have a lot of books that I haven't listened to, so I don't have to worry about running out of material!

We'll see how long this lasts, but if worse comes to worse, I can always switch back to music or podcasts.