BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Filter Faults

I'm on the bottom of a package of coffee filters and it seems as if every single day I'm having a side collapse which sends grounds into my coffee. Grounds! I finally got fed up and went in search of an answer. Someone must have solved this issue for me. :-)

The first site I visited suggested turning the filter inside out so the pressure would go the other direction. I was like, okay, I can do this, but let's see if there are any better ideas out there.

The next site suggested one of those permanent gold filters. I hate cleaning those things, but as the thread continued, someone said they put their filter in the gold basket and that way they don't have to clean it--usually--but if the filter collapses, they're still covered. This sounded doable, but I needed something until my gold filter arrived.

Suggestion three was to put the coffee in the filter and wrap it like a pod. That didn't seem part of an answer, but left too much risk of the pod opening and coffee grounds still getting into the coffee. I decided to put a filter in and then wrap the coffee into a second filter. So I've got the pod and the filter. I brewed one cup like this and the pod did stay closed. The regular filter, though, did collapse and I would have had grounds everywhere if not for the podded filter.





Notice the pod wrapped up inside the collapsed filter. That stayed intact.

There's one big problem with this pod method, though. The brewed coffee is so light, you can see through it. While I like my coffee weak, I don't like it that weak. The first time it happened, I assumed I messed up. The second time I knew it wasn't me. I poured the brewed coffee back into the reservoir and ran it through a second time to get a darker brew.

The gold filter is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'm ready.