BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, October 11, 2018

Music Obsession

When I find a new song I like, I tend to obsess over it and play it on repeat until I get so sick of it, I don't want to listen to it any longer. And let me qualify new song as new to me. One of the podcasts I listen to every week does a yearly broadcast they call Summer Strut and they play clips of music they've discovered. Most of the time, my musical taste doesn't match theirs, but the 2018 Summer Strut did lead me to my current obsessive listen.

I received no compensation from anyone for anything I talk about in this blog post. It's all my own opinion and I bought everything mentioned here myself.

Now that the legalities are out of the way, my current musical obsession is Stela Cole's You FO. The lyrics are clever and even the backup singers add to the overall amazingness of this song. It's such a blend of styles and feels slight discordant in places, but somehow it all works for me.

Although the two songs are really not alike in any substantive way, playing it made me think of Lorde's Glory and Gore. This is one of my previous obsessive songs, but because something about the two works matches (at least in my mind), I have both of them in a playlist on my phone all by themselves. On repeat. Yes, I've been listening to these two songs over and over. :-) What can I say?

I haven't listened to any other music by Stela Cole yet, but at some point I will. Usually, it turns out that I only like the one song and don't buy any others, but who knows? Maybe this time will be the exception.