BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, January 17, 2019

I Like Pink

Once upon a time, before I had my website professionally done, I had a lot of pink on the site. Maybe not the best choice since I was writing paranormal action/adventure/suspense romance at the time and pink isn't exactly the most kick-ass color in the world, but I liked it.

And then I saw some women making fun of my website for using the color pink. They weren't my readers, just some random women who somehow found my site and were mocking it.

Why do some people have such a violently negative reaction to pink?

There were no pastels on my site. I don't like pastels. I like bright, in-your-face colors, and if its a fluorescent color, so much the better. This pink was more of a fuchsia shade than anything girly.

I get crap at work from some of the guys for all the pink I have--clothes, tote bags, gym bag. This bright fuchsia shade is my favorite color, no question about it. And I like this pink paired with bright lime green, or a glow-in-the-dark orange (figuratively, not literally glow in the dark). The brighter the better. If you don't need sunglasses, the colors aren't bright enough for me. :-)

No one makes fun of people who are heavily into blue. If my site had been a bright aqua blue instead of pink, I bet no one would have said a word. So what's wrong with pink?

The only guesses I have for this reaction is 1: I'm a romance author and Barbara Cartland's over the top use of pastel pink ruined that color for all romance authors or 2: these women were reacting with unconscious sexism. Pink is a woman's color therefore it is less than other colors and totally mockable. Or 3: maybe both options?

I'm not sure what their deal was because they didn't cite why they didn't like my pink, they just made fun of it. Since I've had my website as it is today for years, you can tell how long this commentary has stuck with me. To paraphrase: All I'm saying is give pink a chance. :-)