BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, February 21, 2019

Sticker Issues

Two weeks ago or so I blogged about my new sticker cutter. I still love it--I've made so many stickers!--but I've run into one small issue. It only happens when I buy printable stickers online and I use the pre-formatted Silhouette files provided by the designer, but it's so frustrating when it happens.

The first time it happened, the designer had moved the registration marks for the machine on her design. Silhouette didn't like this. It likes its default registration marks. (Registration marks tell the machine where to cut. I print the stickers on my laser printer with the marks, then attach it to the cutting mat and the machine reads the marks to know where to cut.)

I managed to get it to read the registration marks, but the cut was off and my stickers were a mess. Everything had to go the the trash.

Luckily, someone on my planner group had recently run into the same issue and had talked about how to fix it. She offered two solutions--either delete some stickers or make the stickers smaller so that they fit within the default marks. I went with option 2 and everything printed right.

Problem two is one I'm still grappling with as I type. The designer fit everything within the registration marks and is wasting a ton of the page. So wasteful. I duplicated the graphic so I could fit two on a page and the machine absolutely will not recognize the registration marks. I think it's because the two sheets overlap even though the cut lines are clear of each other and everything is visible. I'm working on this one.

Here's a picture of stickers I made successfully shortly after I got the Cameo 3. From scratch. Well, mostly. I bought clipart and then made my own stickers out of them for the elliptical and the gym weights. The Auto Shipment sticker was a design I bought online that worked correctly and the Christmas Eve sticker is from Happy Planner.