BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, March 21, 2019

I Hate Sleeves

I'm not sure if I blogged about this or not, but I started knitting my first sweater months ago. Many months ago. I have dropped it a few times to work on other projects, so I'm not this slow. Although, I am a slower knitter and time is limited.

So I finally reached a point where it was time to start the sleeves. I'm excited! Sleeves!

This is a top down, raglan, seamless sweater (knitters know what I'm talking about) and I have to pick up stitches for the sleeve. This is when my excitement about sleeves crashed and burned.

When I picked up the number of stitches the pattern calls for, I'm left with a huge hole near the raglan. HUGE!

I had to undo the row I knitted and now I'm contemplating what to do next. Do I pick up extra stitches beyond the pattern's instructions? Do I try to pick up the stitches in a different place to avoid the big gap? I'm not very experienced with picking up stitches, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. I don't know.

It's not both sides of the sleeves. On the one side, the hole between sleeve and raglan isn't that bad and I could stitch it up the way the instructor explained in the video. It's the second side as I come around that's giving me fits. That hole is simply too large to be patched.

This has devastated my enthusiasm and changed my happy thought of "I'll have my first sweater done in a couple of weeks" to OMG, why is this so hard? :-(

I'm tempted to work on something else until I figure out what to do. We'll see.