BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, September 24, 2020

Phone Habits

I kind of have a bad habit. I leave my phone on silent all the time. Which wouldn't be bad except that when I get a phone call, it will roll directly to voicemail without letting me know I received a call.

Let's be honest: I hate getting phone calls, but there are times they're necessary evils.

If the phone rings, I want to answer it so I don't have to be the one making the phone call. It's so much easier for me to do it this way.

The other thing I do which impacts whether or not I get phone calls is Do Not Disturb. I have it set to automatically turn on and turn off at certain times. And because when I was on vacation, people were texting me at early hours of the morning (while I was still sleeping!), I expanded my time frame.

And then I missed phone calls because it would roll right to voicemail while Do Not Disturb was on.

Again, I would much rather answer the phone than make a call, so I adjusted my Do Not Disturb time back to early hours. :-( I guess the answer would be to not keep the phone next to the bed, but I have a meditation app that I use whenever I wake up in the middle of the night and it helps me fall back asleep. I'd hate to lose that.

As I type this, I'm expecting a call back because I rolled to someone else's voicemail. Thankfully, I remembered I had it on silent before the person tried to contact me.