BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Today It's OneNote

I've mentioned how I keep trying different things to organize myself while I write. I like to be organized and I don't want things in fifteen different places, especially my notes, but this continues to be a work in progress.

Right now, as I write The Paladin League, I'm using OneNote by Microsoft.

The Paladin League has a lot of shared locations in the three book arc that started with Wicked Intention. Being able to save the pictures of locations and people that will reoccur throughout the series is a definite win.

The other thing I'm liking about OneNote is when I cut and paste information from a website, it automatically puts a link to that location. I've had to go back to a site or two a few times because I didn't have everything I needed.

Of course, this hasn't completely stopped my multiple notes issue. I still have my series notebook because I like thinking by writing on paper. There's something about that action that stimulates ideas. I also have a sketchpad full of notes because I needed the extra visual space to work out the last dozen chapters of Wicked Intention. I also followed almost none of those plans, but that's another story. :-)

And then there's the notes I made on my iPad because I like writing with the Apple Pencil. Plus this story was started in 2011 and I made a lot of notes over the intervening years. I couldn't find most of them, but I know they exist. I also was using Scrivener and my Mac to write during this time, too, so lots of notes in there, too.

I'm working on the next book in the series now, Wicked Salvation, and hopefully all of these notes will remain either in the series notebook or OneNote.