BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, March 04, 2021

Let Me Complain About Griff

I'm trying to decide if I talk too much about writing and my stories or not enough about them.

On the one hand, I can go on and on about minute details (usually about the characters) that I worry interest no one but me. On the other hand, if you're here to read about my stories and the process of writing them, then I might not be writing enough about these types of topics.

Griff (big surprise) is being a PITA about sharing information. If you've read the two earlier Paladin League books then you won't be surprised by this. To be honest, I'm not surprised because I have a lot of difficult characters who don't like to expose their secrets, not even to me, but I was hoping that he would be different.

Griff's full name is Jonah Theodore Griffin, but he goes by JT or Griff. And yes, his parents called him JT. They didn't like Jonah Theodore any more than he does, but they're family names and they didn't feel as if they couldn't name him this.

For a while, I thought maybe he'd been sweet on Langley (Wicked Obsession) because she calls him Jonah, but I'm pretty confident now that it isn't true. I think she calls him Jonah because he couldn't tell her not to call him that. Griff is a soft touch when it comes to women, especially women who need help.

The thing that is interesting to me is that he thinks of himself as Griff as much as JT. Apparently, he picked up the nickname when he was about fourteen.

I know Griff's father died when he was young, but his mother didn't remarry until he was in high school. This is where his need to protect women came from. He tried to protect and take care of his mom after his dad was killed.

Has he told me much else about his past? No. I hope there aren't any surprises waiting for me, but he wouldn't be the first character to spring something on me late in the writing.