BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, April 27, 2021

First Person Revisited

 

Last week, I talked about first person and its limitations. I stand by this. The success or failure of a book written this way is incredibly dependent on the characters having strong voices.

As it happens, the next book I picked up to read was also in first person. Here we go, I thought, but I decided to give it a few pages anyway.

I was pleasantly surprised. The heroine had such a fun and strong voice and I was able to read the entire book. The hero's voice was more ordinary, more bland, but as I thought about it, I wondered if two strong and unique voices would compete against each other too much?

In fact, I was so excited about the book that I was thinking of some ideas I had in first person. I probably wouldn't write them this way because seriously, not my favorite tense, but the book I read was so good.

This kind of ties my two posts together. A talented author with the right characters can make first person a pleasure to read. But (and this is a big but) most characters don't have voices that are this strong. The book I blogged about last week? The author should have gone with third person.

This week's author pulled first person off beautifully. I'm leery, though, about reading her other books written in first because what are the odds that her other heroines have voices this strong without feeling as if they're echoing the heroine I just read? I don't know, but I enjoyed her story enough that I'm probably going to find out at some point.