BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Fun Facts on the Paladin League

My idea is to keep this blog post short. I'm on vacation this week from the day job and my plan is to spend a lot of time writing Wicked Deception.

I thought I'd talk a bit about the Paladin League series in general. Some things that have popped into my head recently.

Has anyone noticed that the titles reflect the villain in the book? Obsession has a villain who is obsessed with revenge. Intention has a bad guy who has bad intentions for the weapons he wants to purchase. Salvation has the antagonist who wants to save his country even if it means doing illegal things. And Deception? Well, you'll have to read it and find out, right? ;-)

I think I blogged about this before--about Zo being a Cancer and Finn being Capricorn. I don't normally use astrological signs for my characters, but I was reading a website with some basic sign information and I was like, yeah, that fits them. Since the characters had already been in my head for ten years, it wasn't like I used the details to "create" them. This was more of a validation of who they are. Both signs like to stay home and they're both intensely loyal to those they love--which is totally Finn and Zo.

Because Zo likes to stay home and is an introvert, I was a little surprised to find out that she was the glue who holds a variety of friendships together. Most notably for the series is the relationship between the heroines of the four books. I've had vignettes show up in my head of Finn and Zo's wedding and the women think of themselves as a group of sisters. Three of them are only children and  Cat is the only girl (and the youngest) in her family.

Last fun(?) fact: I've been having more difficulty than usual focusing on Kyle and Marianna. Part of the issue is Finn and Zo are still in my head. The other part of the problem is who Kyle and Mari are. Kyle was stirring the pot in Griff's story, but he hasn't done any of that yet in his own book. I'm guessing because I'm in his head and so 99% of his life is not stirring the pot. I'm also chalking some of it up to working at the convent. Kyle really is a good Catholic boy and he's on his best behavior. So far.

Mari has also been a problem for me. I know who she was before she went on the run, but I'm still trying to get a handle on who she is now. She actually started changing when she dropped out of her doctorate program to return to Puerto Jardin, but she was enough of who she was before this that I felt comfortable with her. But nearly three years on the run hasn't left much of the lighthearted girl she used to be.