BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

The Great Table Hunt

The other day, I remembered that my aunt had a protective cover for her dining room table. I used to think it was silly, but after the damage I inflicted on my table (blogged about here), I thought okay, maybe it wasn't so ridiculous after all.

Pictured is my dining room table in my beloved Minneapolis home. Picture was taken in 2006.

It took a little work, but I found exactly what I wanted online. Hard upper surface and soft under surface. The price was okay. I would prefer it be cheaper, but this was the area I expected it to be in, so yeah.

The instructions about measuring the table were on the site, but it also mentioned that if I had the make and model of my table, that they'd already have the information. Surely, I had this, right?

Did they email receipts in 2006 when I bought the table? Hmm.

I started a search of my email. And yes, I do have email back to 2006. I keep every email that might mean something some day, especially anything related to my writing.

A couple of searches didn't turn up any information. I tried to remember where I'd bought it, but drew a blank, so I couldn't search for the store name. It's also possible that in 2006, email receipts were not a thing yet. I can't recall this either.

That leaves me with one final hope--that I kept the paper receipt.

It's a possibility. My mom was adamant that I hang on to any receipt where the total was high enough to warrant special handling. The table would have fallen into this price range and I think I had some kind of extended agreement on the chairs in case they got marks on them and they wouldn't come out, so I would have needed the receipt for that.

If only I could figure out which credit card I used and where that file is. The hunt continues.

ETA: I can't find a receipt anywhere (so far), but I took a picture of the label on the underside of the table. I also used the Wayback Machine to check out the manufacturer's website and the store I'm (mostly) sure I bought it from. No luck on model name.