BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, August 03, 2023

Mistakes Were Made

FYI, Wicked Persuasion will be released on Tuesday, August 8th.

I'm a perfectionist. When I do something, I want it done right and I want it to be done well. I also expect myself to be good at things immediately, which is completely unrealistic.

It's why I don't draw. What I want to create and what I get on the sketchpad bear no resemblance to each other, and while I know I could improve, I also know that I will never reach the level I want to be at. I wasn't okay with that and I've more or less given up on ever making art.

When it comes to knitting or sewing, though, it's another story. I've accepted that I'm not going to be perfect and I've also decided I'm okay with that.

Why sewing and knitting and not art? I have no idea.

I've also accepted that I don't have to do everything within the craft. For example, lace knitting. I can do it, but it's stressful and not fun for me, so why do it? I've started to pick projects that don't involve this particular thing. I did have a shawl started that has lace and I (of course) made a mistake. And because it threw the stitch count off, I have to unknit the rows involved and try again.

This is why I don't enjoy lace knitting.

On the other hand, I love knitting cables. It's one of my very favorite things to knit and I'm choosing more projects that require this.

Sewing? I haven't done enough of that yet to know what I like and what I don't like there, but I'm still determined to get a T-shirt done right. I keep messing up the darn collars. Which is okay for shirts I wear around the house, but I really can't wear them out in public because they look funny.

I'm sure the next T-shirt I try will be better.