BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Facebook Diagnosis

Facebook helped diagnose my ADHD. For real.

In June, I was officially diagnosed with ADHD. I never knew I had it. It never occurred to me that I had it. Sure, my mind was constantly spinning and it was impacting my sleep and other areas of my life, but it never seemed like anything other than a personal problem.

Then one of my Facebook friends posted a meme about ADHD and I liked it because it fit me. The FB algorithm got to work and started showing me more memes both on FB and on Instagram.

And I started liking some of those--the ones that fit me. And I still didn't think I had ADHD.

Until Facebook shared the ultimate meme. It said something like: Either people with ADHD are really relatable, or I need to see a doctor about getting tested.

Whoa! Eye opener right there.

I began to do some research on ADHD, and sure enough, I had enough symptoms that maybe I did need to get tested. Adult women present differently than children and girls present differently than boys, so frequently girls do not get diagnosed.

I was given a collection of tests to take--not all of them related to ADHD--and two weeks later, I got the results. Yes, I did have ADHD.

Some of the stuff I'd seen online from people who found out late in life said it was a major deal for them. It wasn't earthshaking for me, although it was a kind of vindication. So many of the things that I considered personal failings were ADHD.

Now I'm moving forward, trying to find strategies to overcome the ADHD. We're not looking at medication at this point, but we'll see how I do without it.

I honestly never expected to end up here from liking one Facebook post.