Every year I refine my planner system. As someone with ADHD, what works for neurotypical people rarely works for me. I’ve learned that if a planner requires too much structure, too much reflection, or too much “future thinking,” my brain simply checks out. For years I thought this meant I wasn’t a “goals person,” but that wasn’t true--I just needed a different way to set them.
How I Actually Set Goals
The goal‑setting sections in planners? Completely wasted on me. My brain shuts down the moment I try to fill them in. But I do set goals--just not in the traditional way.
Long‑Term Goals: My Kanban Board
My kanban board is where my long‑term writing goals live. Each book gets a column, and each chapter gets a Post‑it Note. If I write more chapters than expected, I add sticky notes. If I write fewer, I toss sticky notes. It’s flexible, visual, and ADHD‑friendly.
Short‑Term Goals: My Planners
My everyday planner has one simple daily instruction: Write. I must write 600 words to cross it off.
My writing planner is more detailed. I have eight circles I can color in--one for every 250 words. If I write 2000 words, I color all eight. While my everyday planner only requires 600 words, the writing planner’s goal is 1000. This is the only habit tracker I use in any planner I own, and it works because it gives me a dopamine hit every time I color in a circle.
Refining My System
Last year I worked hard to create a system that supported my ADHD brain. This year was about fine‑tuning--adjusting what didn’t work, keeping what did, and letting go of anything that added friction.
In Part Two, coming on Thursday, I'll share the lessons I learned and the changes I'm making for 2027.
