BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, October 20, 2016

I'm a Dolphin

***Disclaimer: I received no compensation for this post. I do not know the doctor who created the quiz and I have not read his book. I read a news article online and thought this was interesting. Nothing more.***

I found an article online that talked about chronotypes. There's basically a theory that there isn't just night owls and early birds, but that there are actually four different chronotypes--Lion, Wolf, Dolphin, and Bear.

There's a brief quiz at The Power of When website to figure out which type you are. I took it and found out that I fit in the Dolphin category. I don't think I'm a pure dolphin, though, because not everything in the description is correct for me. A lot of it, however is right on the money and makes me believe there is something to this 4 type thing.

Dolphins are cautious (yes), introverted (yes), neurotic (maybe), and intelligent (I like to think so). They strive for perfection (I'm a raging perfectionist), have OCD tendencies (guilty, although definitely not full-blown), and are detail oriented (oh, yeah).

Lions appear to be the morning people. Bears cycle on the sun and are about 50% of people. Wolves are the night owls.

The site also talks about how these different body clocks evolved in prehistoric times to keep a tribe safe. The wolves stay up until the earliest lions wake up, then drift off and the dolphins awake at the slightest noise to warn the group.

Anyway, I found this premise interesting and the part that really sold it for me was that dolphins wake up tired and get a kick of energy late in the evening. This is totally me. It's frustrating, too, because I have to get up so early for my day job. I'd love to wake up refreshed and be able to go to bed earlier without tossing and turning. Alas, I am not genetically predisposed according to this website.

***Disclaimer: I received no compensation for this post. I do not know the doctor who created the quiz and I have not read his book. I read a news article online and thought this was interesting. Nothing more.***