BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Chairs

When I lived in Minnesota, I only had a eat-in area in my great room, but in my current home, I have a dining room and an eat-in kitchen area. I have my table and chairs in the dining room and now I'm thinking it's time to get a table for the kitchen, too.

Which brings me to chairs. I'd love to have hugely comfortable chairs for this table. The chairs that came with my dining table look like they should be comfortable, but they're not. I even tested them out at the furniture store, but discovered there's a big difference between comfortable for a few minutes and comfortable for half an hour or longer.

One of my favorite memories growing up is sitting around the kitchen table in my parents' house and being able to talk or have a notebook out and jot things down. Or now, I'd like to sit at the table in the mornings and drink coffee or work on the computer.

So how do I find a comfortable chair? It's not like I can go to a furniture store and sit in each one I like for an hour to find out if it's going to work. Do I take the word of other people who've purchased a chair and declared that it's comfortable? It might not be reliable because what works for one person might not work for another and they might have used the chair completely differently than I would.

I kind of know what I want--a white chair with a leather/leather-look material, preferably with nickel legs, but I'm not opposed to wood. I want the leather/fake leather so that it will be easier to clean, but I love the brightness of white. I also like that keyhole back look that I've seen on HGTV, although I'm not set on that yet. Then there's the super cool mid century modern chair I found. I'd have to go with fabric and not fake leather, but it was named the second-most comfortable dining chair by a magazine and I like the shape of it. It's also $500 a chair, which makes me cringe. That's a lot of money for one chair.

Too bad there isn't some website that gives comfort ratings to chairs. Like this chair is a 5 star chair; I could sit in it for two hours and not moan when I stood up. Now this would be helpful.