BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Theme Songs

I used to pick theme songs for my stories. This wasn't something I'd ever planned to do, but one day (as I was driving home from work) Devo's Girl U Want started to play and the lyrics made it perfect for my first book, Ravyn's Flight. The book officially had a theme song.

Nothing popped out at me like that for The Power of Two, but I chose Corey Hart's Never Surrender because that was Cai's attitude.

I never was happy with the theme song for Through a Crimson Veil. The title kind of fit, but the rest of the Travis Tritt song really didn't work for Mika. But Eternal Nights did fit perfectly with INXS's Never Tear Us Apart and every time I hear it, I still think of Kendall and Wyatt.

Because it sometimes helped with the writing, I even tried to choose theme songs for my Works In Progress (WIP), but it's very time consuming to find the right song and as time became harder to come by, I've pretty much given it up. Part of me misses having a song come on the radio and getting all excited because it belonged to one of my books, but on the other hand, a lot of my characters ended up with theme music that I picked just because I was tired of looking for something. Those tunes evoke nothing in me.

I think what I've decided to do is to pick a theme song only if one jumps out as being perfect for the story. That means most of my stories won't have anything, but I think it's better than trying to force something to fit.