BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Gotta Get There

I think everyone has someplace on Earth that they want to visit more than anything in the world. I was lucky enough to get to my number one place--Australia. It was an awesome trip and I was able to spend 4 weeks there exploring part of the country. I could have used a lot more time because there was so much to see.

Lately, I've been thinking of the number 2 place on my really, really, really want to go there list. Ireland.

It's still a dream-about it idea, which means it's still a ways off. Years maybe. But if you can dream it, you can do it. Eventually. I'll have to do some research, start thinking about where I want to go and what I want to do while I'm there. Sometimes I think this is half the fun of traveling--making plans and anticipating fulfilling them even if it is someday.

I imagine that going to Ireland will be like going home. That it will feel familiar and comfortable. I hope I'm right about that.

I imagine meeting people like Nora Roberts' characters from her Born In trilogy. They felt so real that while I was reading the books, I felt like I could fly to Ireland and meet the heroes and heroines.

I imagine taking long walks there, maybe hanging out in the pub, and meeting people. This last part is definitely a fantasy. I'm an introvert. Meeting new people is really hard for me. I know pubs in Europe are different from bars in the USA, so I don't think it will matter that I don't really drink.

And I imagine all the fun I'll have visiting all the cool places I've only seen pictures of or heard about from others. Dreams are good. Now to start saving up so that I can actually go one day.