BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Sunday, November 27, 2016

8 Reasons Advertising Doesn't Work Anymore

This video doesn't give a nice, straightforward list of reasons why advertising isn't working. It's more like a hodgepodge where the person watching it needs to identify the point, but as a former advertising major, I found some of it interesting.

There's one line about how ads "can't disguise their crassness" that really caught my attention.

I've maintained for quite some time that advertising today makes zero attempts to hide their manipulations. It would be like going fishing with a bare hook. There are few ads with any finesse today. True, there have always been hard sell ads and ads that were just boring, but watching the Clio Awards used to be hugely entertaining. I don't find that to be the case any longer. (The Clio Awards are advertising's Oscars.)

Anyway, I find advertising today--in all venues--to be lame and poorly executed. JMO.