BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Crochet Patterns

As a newbie to crocheting, reading a pattern can be challenging for me. I can't quite visualize what the creator is trying to tell me. I was lucky that my beginning crochet class did teach me how to read a pattern--it even covered how to read a chart--but seeing what I need to do and understanding how ti actually works are two different things. At least for me. :-)

The image here is the start of my cape/shawl that I'm working on. I had to rip it apart completely three times. I ripped multiple rows out several times and then something happened. The pattern and why the designer was telling me to do something clicked in my head and suddenly everything became so much easier.

This has happened on multiple patterns I've worked on. I follow the written instructions (I hate the charts!) line by line, clueless as to why something is required of me, and have problems. Something snaps into focus in my brain and I suddenly get it, then everything goes more smoothly.

I kind of hope I reach a point where I can have that Eureka! moment earlier. Like when I read the pattern through initially. I always read it completely before I begin.

There's one other thing I want to mention about patterns and this is something I don't understand at all. I've looked at a number of patterns now--both free and paid--and often the designer will say something along the lines of: you are not allowed to sell anything you make with this pattern.

What?

If I spend two weeks making something, how is the maker of the pattern allowed to tell me I can't sell it when I did the work? I can see saying it can't be mass produced by some corporation without permission, but an individual making the pattern with their own two hands can't sell the end product? Really? That's so bogus to me.

As a writer, I can create an outline with plot and characters, but it's not a book until the story is written. Just like a pattern is a template, but it's not an actual good until someone does the work. I just don't see how any designer can call the shots on an individual crocheting at home. So weird.