BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, April 20, 2017

Triage Mode

For years now, I've worked under a concept I call Triage Mode. This is when you have so much to do that you feel overwhelmed. My theory was to find what was bleeding hardest and work on that first, hence my title of Triage Mode.

The picture to the left is my decorated planner. I love having a daily planner rather than a weekly because it helps me focus better. I really didn't think I'd like a daily because I'd always had a weekly and it seemed like overkill, but it turned out to be the best thing ever. On this planner, my Saturday and Sunday were combined on one page. With so much happening on my weekends, I've since switched to another version of this same planner. This version, though, has full days for the weekends.

But I digress. So I've done triage mode and made lists and dropped things that I decided really didn't have to be done after all. I'd tell people about my method and they all said, that's a good idea.

And then I listened to a productivity podcast called Productivity Paradox and in episode 6, she said the same thing I've been doing for years. Validation! Hurrah!

(BTW, I received no compensation of any kind for this post. The podcast is free, and while the woman hosting it is the owner of Inkwell Press, I do not use their planner.)

Validation is always a good thing, but for me, having my method of dealing with the To Do List supported meant a lot because I'm so unsure of myself when it comes to getting things done. I make the lists because it gives me the illusion of control and because I feel better when I cross things off. I just never feel as if I have a handle on my life, though, and things have really slipped farther away since I moved to Georgia and especially after my mom died and my dad came to live with me.

So it's good to know I'm on the right track, I just wish I felt more productive.