BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Office Update


I promised an update on my office as I put it together. I'm actually not quite finished yet, although it's pretty close right now. I've got a universal docking station so I can use either my laptop or my work laptop with my monitors. I have a printer stand designed to hold two laser printers. And I have my awesome desk.

I'm really enjoying this desk. This is the first time I've had a desk that was actually something I could use without getting frustrated. Storage space, space for books--lots of books--and drawers! OMG, I've never had more than an itty bitty drawer before this desk.

There's only one thing I'd do differently--my monitors. They're fine monitors and work well, but because they cover so much real estate and because I'm sitting so close, it's sometimes hard to see what's on the far sides of the screens. When I'd been shopping for my monitors, I'd immediately discarded the idea of buying the curved kind. Now I wish I had. The curve would bring the far sides closer to me and make it easier to see.

The good thing is that I didn't buy the next bigger size monitor. I'd been considering it, but ultimately decided this size would be adequate. It's more than adequate.

Another thing going on here that you can easily see in the picture is that I have no idea what to do with my top shelf. People on Facebook have offered suggestions, but I haven't tried any of them yet. I might simply put more books up there, ones I don't want to get rid of, but rarely need to use.

What I have left on the agenda is to go through the closet and a small cabinet I have and a two drawer filing cabinet and purge what I don't need. The problem is that the two cabinets are loaded with cords and I don't know what they belong to. This means running around, trying to match them up. Gah! I wish I'd been organized enough to label the things.